[Oeva-list] Insurance for home-built?

Tony McCormick tony at notebene.net
Mon Jul 14 16:26:43 PDT 2008

The is an legal alternative to liability insurance, it's called a Bond.
Check with the State regulators, but in most states you can post a bond
in lieu of buying insurance.   It is usually the same amount as the
minimum required policy, which I think is $15,000. but I'm not sure of that.
--Tony

David Hazen wrote:
> Has anyone ever secured insurance for a home-built (from scratch) EV?
>  I am fabricating a 3-wheeler from junkyard parts and tubular steel,
> wood, and fiberglass.  Progressive won't touch it because it's
> home-built, even though two years ago they assured me that they would
> insure it.  Any suggestions?
>
> David
>
> David Hazen
> innercom at peak.org <mailto:innercom at peak.org>
> Construction of the XK-Humm-E
> <http://www.peak.org/%7Einnercom/EV/EVjournal9.html>
> Lane Electric Vehicle Association <http://laneeva.org/>
>

> "There is no energy crisis, there is a crisis in ignorance." --- R.
> Buckminster Fuller

Tony McCormick