[Oeva-list] OT: Real or Scam? Electricity Saver

Tim Kutscha tim_kutscha at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 12:31:05 PDT 2008

Hi Patrick,

It looks like this device does "power factor correction" (PFC) for inductive loads.  See the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor_correction

As far as your electric bill, I believe the power company charges large customers like industry based on their power factor (PF), especially if it is less than 1.  For residential (home) customers, I've read that the power company doesn't care about PFC and charges people the same, whether their load is power factor corrected or not.  I'm guessing the electric meters used to measure the power factor are more expensive.

Because many battery chargers for EVs are switching power supplies, they should have power factor correction to maximize the current they can pull from the wall.  I think this is why the chargers from Manzanita Micro are called PFC-20/30/etc...

Cheers,
Tim