[Oeva-list] OT: Real or Scam? Electricity Saver

bob at research13.com bob at research13.com
Tue Jul 15 13:36:50 PDT 2008

Meters haven't changed much since 1888. You probably also know smart meters are coming and there are some pilot programs. The PUCs are encouraging smart meters to give customers more knowledge and opportunities for programs to manage loads (both personal and system/utility-wide).

The new solid state meters can measure "power factor" and other things - "real time" measurements and linear measurements along with the ability to get a more accurate bill without a meter reader. Perhaps our utilities should look into financing these "power factor" devices to help reduce "peak demand." It seems like the pilot program smart meters should be able to provide the averages of potential savings already (anyone reading have access to this data?). It also would give people feed back if they were part of a "time of use" program which typically offers lower rates in the evening when you might want to charge your EV.

The California "rolling black outs" were caused by peak demand issues. We have not had hot weather sufficient enough to test the "system" in a while. Global warming suggests more peak demand challenges are coming. The smart meters would allow utilities to communicate with or "shut off" the biggest consumers and have the biggest impact in lessening peak demand.

If this "electricity saver" really works -- How about this for a tag line "Give up your family joules and save" ... Lord, I apologize for that last pun....

Bob