[Oeva-list] Insurance for home-built?

David Hazen innercom at peak.org
Wed Jul 16 12:34:37 PDT 2008

I have talked to my Allstate agent about insurance through the Oregon
state "assigned risk" pool, in which the state arbitrarily assigns a
policy to an underwriter when there is a non-standard or otherwise
non-acceptable risk.  In this case, 100/300 liability, 50 property,
15 PIP, 100/300 uninsured motorist, with 10 uninsured property damage
would cost $808 per year.  Comprehensive and collision coverage for
my vehicle would be an additional $2,000!

I'll buy the liability and take my chances with my vehicle.  Not what
I was expecting when I began this project and everyone was saying,
"oh, licensed as a motorcycle, registration and insurance will be
less than that for a car."  Not so.   My opinion of insurance
companies has sunk to a new low, but at least I can finish my project
with some assurance that I'll be able to legally drive it.

David

David Hazen
innercom at peak.org
Construction of the XK-Humm-E
Lane Electric Vehicle Association

"There is no energy crisis, there is a crisis in ignorance." --- R.
Buckminster Fuller