[Oeva-list] conversion question?

Graunke, Gary gary.graunke at intel.com
Wed Jul 16 15:49:57 PDT 2008

I have a vehicle that is in the performance range that you desire, but
it will cost more up front--you get the payback from very low (by
comparison with ICE cars) operational costs.

It cost me about $10k to convert, but it would be more like $20K these
days. In addition, I have about $15K of batteries in it:  1380 A123
systems cells (derived from DeWalt batteries (not recommended), but it's
a ballpark $ estimate). The pack weighs a mere 200 lbs. It goes about 60
miles at 35-45 mph, and more like 48 at freeway speeds. (I have driven
48 actual miles before my low voltage alarm went off, and I drove 51
miles with extra to spare). This is the bad news.

The good news is that my AC drive will last longer than I will (at age
58), and won't need brushes. If you are driving over hills, regenerative
braking is very useful at maintaining your range. (Otherwise you lose a
lot of energy using regular brakes going downhill). AC motors always
have regen braking, but DC usually does not (check the motor AND
controller). I can easily add 4 more batteries to get to 100 mile range
weighing 330 lbs and 330V (super performance) for another $10K. The A123
have enough power for winning drag races (but my car is not set up for
that).

The A123 systems cells are supposed to last 7000 cycles (24 years of one
cycle per day), losing about 5% every 1000 cycles, or a max shelf life
of 15 years. At 7000 cycles, 10KWH, 5 miles/KWH for freeway driving (my
Insight is very efficient), that is 4.3 cents per mile. The energy costs
are less than 2 cents per mile (10 cents/KWH divided by 5 miles/KWH).
This is extremely low compared to an ICE car (add up the fuel costs
(that's right--try to predict oil prices for the next 10 years or more)
AND the wear and tear plus oil changes, filters, etc over the total
lifetime miles).

Regular LiIon batteries may have less power, require a super BMS, and
some serious safety engineering (they explode when their insides are
exposed to air). The LiFePO chemistry does not require ventilation or a
BMS for safety (still a good idea to have something).

Your mileage will vary depending on the vehicle--look for a similar
vehicle on www.evalbum.com to find the mi/KWH. Make sure your batteries
have enough power. The voltage does not matter so much--you just get
more smaller batteries. It's the total KWH that gives you the range.