[Oeva-list] Oeva-list DigestD&D SepEx motor -Separately Excited-

Tim Kutscha tim_kutscha at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 07:48:02 PDT 2008

Hi Ken,

  I don't know all the finer details of SepEx motors, but I do know that they require
two-times more drive electronics (fairly expensive parts) than the standard series
wound motors.  When you get up to higher voltages (144V) and currents (600A),
the drive electronics become very expensive, so doubling this tends to double the
cost of the controller.  For racing people, the extra cost is rarely an issue.
  Incidentally, this is often why AC systems, which need to generate three
sets of AC waveforms, are so expensive.  The motor is cheap, but the AC controller
has SIX times the drive electronics as those of a series wound motor, plus even
higher voltage to deal with.  Victor, can you back up or refute this statement?

Cheers,
Tim
OEVA Chair