[Oeva-list] Administrivia: Message size query

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Wed Oct 29 11:37:48 PDT 2008

> Alan:
>
> Jeez-o-Pete. Please remove all restrictions on file size, attachments, etc.
> This is a big pain in the you-know-what. Or at least make some sort of text
> only option for the people with dial up. (I think most everyone no longer
> uses a phone modem to connect to the Internet, do they?) Hey you with the
> phone modem: at the library they have Internet for free.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick Barnes
> Ex Treasurer
> Aloha, or

That's not the only reason to keep 'em short.. html isn't displayed the
same on all mail clients. Mime mail is broken by replies containing
the original message. Storage on the end users site isn't without limit.
And, while it's not a big deal on this list, because, presumedly folks
driving electric vehicles can ACTUALLY see to drive, some lists are used
by folks with screen reading software to convert text to voice which has
trouble with mime/html.. (Although there ARE vision problems that
preclude reading that don't preclude driving!) (And.. why else do
you think they put braille on the drive up ATM? :-) )

And .. last but not least, for most emails, MIME/html adds NOTHING to
the content of the email.

Just say no to HTML mail!

Steve