[Oeva-list] ev conversion services

Ron Jayasuriya evmail4ron at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 12:11:28 PDT 2008

Anne,
Thank you for expressing interest in an electric vehicle conversion.
At Shorepower Technologies we offer a wide range of electric vehicle services including vehicle conversions.  It is our intention to be able to offer a few standard models which we could then reproduce more efficiently.  We will also offer more custom services on a time and materials basis.  We currently have a 2000 Jetta almost ready for sale, a 2003 mini cooper in process, a ZAP pickup that has been upgraded, and a Prius that has been converted to allow it to be plugged in (PHEV).

A small pickup is a very good choice for an ev conversion.  S-10's have been a popular choice in the past.  A Toyota Tacoma would also be a good choice.

There are a few basic questions that usually come up right away.
How fast will it go?
How far will it go?
How much will it cost?
How long will the conversion take?

I would suggest that $15-$20K is a good ballpark to start with.  This would get you a basic conversion with lead acid batteries that would give you a range of about 20 miles (depending on conditions) and limited freeway capabilty.  More expensive batteries, such as lithium, which can greatly increase range, can also double the price.  Most conversions still use DC motors, but AC systems are available, which offer neat features like regerative braking (and a higher price tag).

Hopefully this helps you get started.
If you have more questions you are welcome to post them to the oeva board or contact us directly.

Thanks again for your interest in ev's!

Sincerely,

Ron Jayasuriya
Shorepower Technologies