[Oeva-list] You kids....

garry painter garry at europa.com
Wed Sep 24 18:18:35 PDT 2008

I've always been amazed at how everyone at the OEVA is so on top of
everything.

Breaking news every morning on my laptop.

FINALLY! a scoop......

My sister sent me the following today:
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/233889,german-factory-claims-
first-in-automotive-lithium-ion-batteries.html

Berlin - A factory making lithium-ion batteries for hybrid- drive
cars opened in Germany Wednesday, with owner Continental saying it
was the first in the world to mass-produce the storage cells. Smaller
lithium-ion (Li-ion) rechargeable batteries for laptop computers and
other uses are common round the globe, but most fuel- saving hybrid
cars use an older technology, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries.

German components group Continental's factory in Nuremberg will make
batteries weighing 25 kilograms and allow electric motors in cars to
supplement the output of combustion engines by up to 19 kilowatts of
power.

The technology is to be installed in Mercedes S400 Blue Hybrid cars
from the middle of next year, Continental said.

The factory can make up to 15,000 of the batteries per year.