[Oeva-list] A bit more about SYNKROmotive

David Boyd david at synkromotive.com
Fri Sep 26 09:38:50 PDT 2008

Greetings OEVA members,

As some here already know, we have been developing several EV power
components over the last couple years. My partner, Ives Meadors, has
been working on motor controllers since the early 2000's (sounds so
strange to say that...). My background is in industrial design, and
together we are designing a very complete, versatile and modular EV
drive system, including motor controllers, BMS and charging systems,
and LCD displays. As I'm fond of saying, Ives is the brains, I just
make it look good...

We are nearing completing on our first product, a DC series motor
controller with a host of very nice EV integration features that
should make the conversion process much simpler. I'll post a link on
our site when I can get the pdf file up there for everyone to view.
We are about to release a Beta Program involving 10-15 people, many
in the OEVA, to do our final real world testing and obtain drive data
logging and user feedback. We've had a bit of a hiccup in the
process, as the company that made the  heatsinks I designed our
assembly around just went into receivership (ThermoFlo, for those who
care...) So I'm now in the process of RFQ'ing our HS design to new
extruders. If anyone has suggestions for an extrusion house that can
do a high 'tongue to fin' ratio extrusion, please let me know!

On other fronts, we've been prototyping a new BMS/charger/monitor
system that's going to be a really great product for the EV
community. It's modular, and will work with any number of PbA
batteries, and soon lithium. It will fully communicate with the
controller for complete battery protection, charge control and
monitoring and will also work as a stand alone system with any other
controller, but without some of the more advanced features. Sorry to
be a bit vague, but we're still working on some potential IP issues.
We will release more info shortly.

As for our web site, we've been running 'under the radar' because we
don't want to fall into the trap of many overly zealous EV companies
who over promise and under deliver. We're very conscious of backing
up our claims with real product that exceeds expectations. We're also
just too darn busy to finish the site up! But we have a rough edit
done that we'll put up in the next couple weeks.

Until then, if you have specific questions about us or our DC motor
controller, or are interested in the Beta Program, feel free to drop
me a line. E-mail is best. I will attend the next OEVA meeting (Oct)
and bring some demo product with me and answer more questions at that
time. Also, the pdf Beta spec sheet is just that... Beta. Some things
may change, but overall it's very close to production spec.

I would like to thank all the members who have stuck with us (in
secret...!) and a big shout out to Tony McCormick and Travis Gintz
for their support in what we're trying to do.

Cheers,
David Boyd
CEO
SYNKROmotive, LLC