[Oeva-list] The Leaf at OMSI

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Sat Dec 19 23:45:41 PST 2009

Overall I really liked the Leaf.  A little disappointed no under the hood
views were allowed.

Concerning this information provided at the show.

The range in town is better then on the freeway was because of regen. The
reason for better mileage in town is because of stop and go driving with
regen.

This is incorrect.

Your very best range will be on 35 MPH roads that you do not have to stop
on. If you are in very heavy stop and go traffic that might be enough energy
lost that you could travel at 40 or 45 MPH still get even greater range.

Here are some facts

You never get the best range using regen and driving like an ICE

EVs get their best range at around 30 to 35 miles per hour without
stopping.

If you must use regen you will recover energy but you would gain more range
if you could coast. It is always better to coast then it is to regen.
Stopping will never give you more range.

Every time you have to stop you lose range not gain.

Regen will recover some of the loss of having to stop but not all of it.

The recovered energy using regen does not make up for the loss of energy
needed to bring the vehicle back up to speed.

It takes far more energy to start a vehicle from a stop then you ever
recover from regen braking. The only exception to this would be going down a hill
to a stop.

Any time you convert energy there is always a loss.

Of course if you must slow down or come to a stop then it is better to put
the energy back into the pack.

If you do get better range in town then on the freeway it is only because
of aerodynamic losses at freeway speeds. It has nothing to do with regen
making your EV range increase with regen stopping. If you tell this information
to non EV drivers. They will wrongly believe it is best to use the regen
braking. That doing so will recharge the car and increase the range.

Don Blazer

In a message dated 12/18/2009 2:42:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,