[Oeva-list] Oregon's new AFTERMARKET bill

Bob Stewert bstewert at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 19:17:41 PST 2009

Danilo,
Good answer.  However, I believe most of the world doesn't care at
all.  I recently was on a drive trip from NYC to N. Carolina.  I saw
so much waste, lack of care, garbage on the roads, the air was
filthy.  Employees in fast food restaurants, gas stations and motels
gave me puzzled looks when I asked something as simple as where are
the glass/plastic recycling bins.  Cigarette butts/trash all over
sidewalks from NYC to small towns.  Even some of our "educated
friends" don't care.  In Charlotte, NC (a modern city in the South) I
counted 6 Prius cars in 5 days.  Here in Portland I can see 6 Prius'
in 6 min. sometimes.

Just scanning the bill, it seems there are 1000 better ways to spend
the time, money and effort.  For example, rather than paying 5% more
for green energy from PGE (like we do), you should have to pay 5%
more for dirty energy.  Rather than pay $1 for a can of coke and then
give 5¢ back for the can, you should have to pay $2 up front, then
get $1 back for the can.  It's not worth the 5¢ to most people.

So it seems to me you either have to make the thing financially
attractive, or cram it down your throat with a gov law.  Since most
people want the lowest price, you see what's left.  I don't think it
will pass.
Bob