[Oeva-list] Oregon's new AFTERMARKET bill

John Benson jrab at e-m-w.com
Wed Feb 11 21:09:50 PST 2009

By "dont sell Jack" was shorthand for: I should have said the parts
that are promoted are generally, "Get more horsepower with..." or
"Bigger badder bla bla bla". I'm making a pretty gross stereotype for
that stuff though I'll admit.  NEVER have I gone in to get a new oil
filter and been told "This one is going to help your fuel efficiency"
or at Les Schwab, "here's an option: These tires will improve your
MPG" . New brand intake and exhaust? They'll sell the cheaper one, not
the more fuel efficient one. If you are looking for something
specific, then this law as worded isn't going to prevent you from
getting it, but it might encourage aftermarket to provide something
more efficient. If there's a reg to say, you must buy this one because
it will increase efficiency, that's good. Like the feds telling the
auto manufactures the need to put catalytic converters on cars.
Everyone whined about that one, and it cost more, but the air is
cleaner because of it. And people still drive guzzlers.

Reality? The wording is so general that it would take the supreme
court to enforce it. There is nothing that defines restrictions or
prohibitions, or how it would be enforced. It seems pretty much like
legislative pandering to show that they are doing something. I just
read Alan's mail that came after yours and would have to agree with him.

jrab