[Oeva-list] Forwarded article about NY postal service

patrick0101 at gmail.com patrick0101 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 10:44:46 PST 2009

The trucks don't have to be charged on the literal electrons that the PV
system makes. In fact, it is better if they don't. The PV system supplies
power to the grid during the day (when it needs it most). This helps
stabilize the grid and it allows the PV owner to sell power at peak rates.
Then by charging at night, EVs use power when there is a surplus. Nighttime
also tends to be when it is windiest. So large scale overnight charging
would allow for more wind turbine power generation.
So even if they could store the power and use it directly in the trucks, I
would argue that grid-tied solar powered-EV charging is more of a net
benefit.

Regards,
Pat
If you drive like there is no tomorrow, it may become self-fulfilling