[Oeva-list] I was looking at new EVs being developed and I was drawn toward this...

Sean McCann mccann.sean at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 08:10:38 PST 2009

"new" battery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanadium_redox_battery

"The main advantages of the vanadium redox battery are that it can offer
almost unlimited capacity simply by using larger and larger storage tanks, *it
can be left completely discharged for long periods with no ill effects*, it
can be recharged simply by replacing the electrolyte if no power source is
available to charge it, and if the electrolytes are accidentally mixed the
battery suffers no permanent damage."

Pretty interesting.

It looks like Subaru may be using this battery in it's "Potential" electric
car.  Nothing like a bunch of concepts based on "new" technology.

http://electricandhybridcars.com/index.php/pages/electriccarnews.html

Has anyone else heard of this battery?  Is it on the market yet?  I can't
find a source for actual purchase of this battery type.  This is just a
heads up for you all with potential new tech.

Sean