[Oeva-list] Oregon governor looking at GPS-based mileage tax to fund roads

bob at research13.com bob at research13.com
Thu Jan 1 19:42:00 PST 2009

Does anybody recall any studies that suggest that a tax on fuel would lead to less fuel consuption and GPS systems would not work? It seems to me that is a logistical nightmare and pretty complicated to implement or even study the idea of rolling out a GPS system. I believe PUC diesel tax for trucks is chosen by governments because of it's simplicity in managing it. No electronic GPS system to malfunction, etc. Would people need a GPS for their muscle car in the garage too?

Since nearly nobody has an electric car, and many Portland households have 5 or more cars, doesn't it make sense to raise the costs of licensing and fuel taxes to reduce infrastructure costs and produce more revenue? I don't know the exact numbers but are there even a thousand plug in vehicles in Oregon? Since most vehicles on the road get less than 30mpg, seems like a gas tax is the way to go because it might also improve chances people would buy fuel efficient, greener cars.

I'm also a bit confused because electric cars wouldn't "fuel up" as mentioned in this article if they are charging at home, so how would the GPS mileage work then? Seems to me you tax the bad behavior ;buying carbon fuels is bad - how far you go isn't that relevant. Example: If I drive a 1968 Suburban that gets 3 mpg and has no emission controls, would I pay the same GPS tax as a Plug in Prius?

In Thomas Friedman's "Flat Crowded" book he also talks about $9 gas in Denmark. By the way, Denmark is also the country supplying a third of all wind generation equipment, and Denmark has only 2% unemployment. We are nowhere near paying what gas is actually costing, which will reveal itself once the oil supply is again reduced and our pump prices go up. We need to remember fuel costs will go back up and as we import gas we export dollars out of Oregon and out of our country. Denmark is a small country and may not be a great example, but they are not importing from some of the same places we are because of their energy efficiency focus and higher priced gas. Additionally, a lot of the windmills in the Gorge are from Vestas - A Danish company, right? So we are paying for Denmark's wind development and going to tax positive vehicle choices. Hmm ... seems like GPS is a bit like paddling up the wrong revenue stream.

15,000 miles is often used as an estimate for an adult driver.
@15,000 miles per year that is $180 total revenue @1.2 cents per mile.
@15,000 miles per year and 30mpg with a 50cent per gallon tax that is $250/ year and is directly correlated to greenhouse gas emissions (and the DMV wouldn't manage it).

And Denmark's price of gas is also cheap if you look at some opinions. The real cost of a gallon of gas is estimate at between $5-$15 dollars by ICTA
www.icta.org/doc/Real%20Price%20of%20Gasoline.pdf