[Oeva-list] Legislative proposals

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Sun Jan 4 12:35:54 PST 2009

cje at hevanet.com wrote:
> I'm not sure there's anything Oregon can do about the 30mph speed limit
> issue. Isn't that a federal rule?

I believe it is not an ev specific rule, but rather a limit on the speed
of vehicles that don't have to meet crash safety rules (airbags, 5mph
bumpers, etc).  I think the NEV category is simply an ev specific
subgroup, but as there are a large number of 4 wheeled evs that aren't
in it, it's annoying to see someone giving the impression that all evs
are low speed.  That said, I would like to see that limit raised to
45mph, which would make them considerably more practical without
substantially endangering anyone.  But you're right, it is federal.  On
the other hand, I believe Oregon could legalize them on non-federal
highways, though it might jeopardize federal subsidies.  The new
administration may be amenable to such a change though...