[Oeva-list] Speed limits and my legislative proposals

Rick Barnes barnes.rick at verizon.net
Tue Jan 6 18:12:13 PST 2009

I drove low speed for several years, and I think it is a mistake to speed
modify and drive these vehicles faster than 25, and it is a mistake to drive
them on 35 mph streets (even though this is currently allowed). I would like
to see a federal vehicle class change, not state changes. A better choice is
a NHTSA safety tested vehicle which will go 40 and be limited to 35 MPH
streets
. and limit existing 25 MPH low speed vehicles designed under the
current standard to 25 MPH streets. Current rules are bad 25 on 35 MPH
streets, want to get killed? And you may not drive a low speed vehicle in
the bike lane even for a minute to let cars pass per ORS statutes. I plan to
oppose any legislation to raise the speed limit for these vehicles.

You need to look again at the Oregon Statutes. There are ORS rules for Low
Speed Vehicles. (need to search for “low-speed”)

811.512 Unlawfully operating low-speed vehicle on highway; penalty. (1) A
person commits the offense of unlawfully operating a low-speed vehicle on a
highway if the person operates a low-speed vehicle on a highway that has a
speed limit or posted speed of more than 35 miles per hour.

      (2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, a city or county
may adopt an ordinance allowing operation of low-speed vehicles on city
streets or county roads that have speed limits or posted speeds of more than
35 miles per hour.

      (3) The offense described in this section, unlawfully operating a
low-speed vehicle on a highway, is a Class B traffic violation. [2001 c.293
§8]

The Federal standard is 49CFR571.3,500

http://www.mmucc.us/MMUCCTraining/lessons/crashdamage/motorvehiclebodytype_f
iles/motorvehiclebodytype14.htm