[Oeva-list] Speed limits and my legislative proposals

bob at research13.com bob at research13.com
Tue Jan 6 19:56:23 PST 2009

I don't see mph beign Federally regulated anytime soon. For example, AZ and ID helmet laws mean that brain injured bikers in those states jack up insurance/healthcare costs because helmet laws are not inforced.

I'm not sure on the modification of making vehicles go faster is bad in and of itself. For me, the power to go 45mph means I could go with traffic and perhaps power a hill a bit better. This might make me more likely to buy an EV for neighborhood use whereas at 35mph, it's hard to even take my kids to school without irritating rushing commuters.

Personally, seems like making things faster is innovation and yankee ingenuity and shouldn't be penalized by itself. I still like to think of our country as the land of the free, home of the brave, and that we can handle safety through training and licensing and I'd hate to see manufacturers penalized too heavily. Over time with good communications I think consumers of EVs would be smart enough to want crash tested vehicles. Tesla cars go really fast - and that's a personal choice which would make the "already crash tested Tesla" appear unsafe. In Europe they don't always have guard rails on freeway systems, yet, many drivers are very safe on these same roads. Keeps the responsibility for safety on the driver and it sure makes drivers slow down.

I've been behind a guy in town who has a Jet turbine powered motorcycle that is street legal. Jay Leno also has one. Motorcycles are statistically quite safe and I think NEVs are more safe than motorcycles and should be treated accordingly. Perhaps it is too paternalistic, but maybe NEV drivers should have to have some training or pass a test to go at speeds so that people are clear about the danger of a vehicle that isn't crash tested. Of course, people think I'm crazy because I fly small airplanes. The trip to the airport in my crash tested heavy automobile is millions of times more risky, statistically, than flying the plane. The reason is the pilot training and annual inspections of the plane by Federally certified mechanics and bi-annual reviews of the pilot by Federally tested Flight Instructors. And, I know my limitations and would not fly in the weather of tonight or recent weeks- Part of the reason planes are safe is that pilots don't fly in risky situations.

Also interesting, it has been proven that "speeders" (those that get speeding tickets) are safer than those that do not get caught speeding. However, insurance companies ding you for a speeding ticket without looking at safety. Additionally, insurance companies routinely have underwritten the cost of radar for police. Hmm. Alcohol is the major contributor to fatalities in motorcycles, small planes, cars and ICE autos. Many fatalities in Oregon are where speed limites are under 30 with drinking drivers.

I think it would be better to reduce drinking and driving than limiting NEV miles per hour. MPH is one measurement. Safety is another. Greenhouse gas mitigationn is another measure which also ties to safety of the masses in the long run.