[Oeva-list] Speed limits and my legislative proposals

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 22:49:02 PST 2009

I have to agree with Rick about the seriousness of having  an NEV on higher
speed roads. I have been in the collision industry  for almost 35 years. Please
give me some credit for knowing how vehicles  drive and brake and handle
accidents.

Most low speed vehicles are not safe at higher speeds and it is not  only
your physical safety in an accident they are insufficient. They are not  stable
at higher speeds they can easily lose control and also lack the required
brakes. Their steering, suspension and braking would put them and  everyone else on
the road at great risk. This would give EVs a bad image. Keep  in mind that
if the speed limit is 35 just like in the real world these NEV's  will be going
40.

Motorcycles built to travel at freeway speeds is not a fair comparison.
Taking a moped bike that is rated for 20 miles an hour and jacking the speed up
to 40 would be a better example of the safety problem. Same for NEV's.  If  you
raise the speed of NEV's what will happen is only the controller will be
modified. The rest of the vehicle was never intended to travel at higher speeds
will be pushed past their designed limit. A lot of these are already  marginal
at best.

Rick as well as many others on this list have built EVs from ICE  vehicles.
The process has  been done and it works. It is safe, provides  jobs here, and
converts the ICE vehicles we want off the road to EVs. It would  actually help
speed up the process by removing ICE vehicles off the road. I  see it as a win
win situation. We get the ICE vehicles off the road and replaced  with EVs.
We really do not need to bring additional  vehicles here or  cause more
manufacturing pollution and energy use in the world. It does not  matter that it is
in Oregon or China it is a waste. An additional  burden on our planet.

We just need the cost of the conversion parts and batteries to come down.
The steady reduction value of ICE vehicles does a great job on its own. Every
year more and more better conversion vehicles are becoming available.

What would help build a market for EVs.

A place to plug in and obtain power at a rate that makes electric vehicles
useable. Most would agree 240 volts is needed and 120 should be  there as well.

Get your state Rep to get the maximum amount for rebates or tax credits for
conversion parts. Another answer could be The Energy Trust. or Lottery funds.
All could used to help lower the cost of conversion parts and batteries.

If the state of Oregon is serious you should be able to buy parts  from
Metric Mind and get  tax credits and rebates. We should be able  to plug in and buy
electric.

How many people on this list would buy the parts needed now if  you could get
50% of your money back?

Don

PS

High quality motors and controllers last for a very long time. Importing
cheap throw away EVs sounds good but think about it. A good AC motor can last a
million miles before service is needed. These quality parts could be moved to
better conversion vehicles. If we do not remove all these cars that are
currently  being driven. How are we going to get away from being dependant  on
oil. Money spent on one quality EV parts conversion is most  likely able to
remove several ICE vehicles.

In a message dated 1/6/2009 7:56:54 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,