[Oeva-list] which one is right for me?

Graunke, Gary gary.graunke at intel.com
Tue Jan 13 09:34:44 PST 2009

The Hawker (Gates, enersys) Odyssey batteries are proven AGM batteries--even good enough for drag racing. I didn't see a 300AH battery in them, though. (It would be huge).

I have no idea about the other batteries. They might be OK if they are powerful enough for EV applications (the usual problem).

The main factor is to find one that fits physically. So this may constrain your choices.

Secondly, you should get one with the same AH rating as your other batteries. So something close to 140AH would be best.

Since you are mixing old and new batteries, you *really* need a better than average battery management system to keep them from overcharging and ruining the others that by now have somewhat less capacity.

I have a set of powercheq modules www.powerdesigners.com . Mine are older models, but they seem to think that they can equalize 140AH 12V batteries.

You are welcome to try them. I don't use them anymore since I changed to A123 3.3V cells.

I also remember that I was going to get my data acquisition system together to analyze your pack. I did find it, and can do this if you have some time to spare. I've been really busy, and I recall that you were, too!

Gary