[Oeva-list] OEVA November 2009 Monthly Meeting Notes

patrick0101 at gmail.com patrick0101 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 01:12:39 PST 2009

These are my notes from the monthly meeting. These are not the official
minutes and they are peppered with my opinion and misconceptions. Enjoy.

=================================
Agenda:
=================================
Portland RAV4 EV Program
Navistar Electric Truck to be built in Portland
Nissan Leaf Tour Coming to Portland
EV Road Map Portland Report
Clackamas Community College Visit Report
Fund Raising Team to be formed in January
December Meeting
Oregon SAE Presentation Coming Up
Arcimoto Launch Report
General Comments
=================================

Chairman John Christian opened the meeting.

=================================
Portland RAV4 EV Program
=================================
Rick Durst presenting:

Toyota is sponsoring an EV program in Portland. Toyota has loaned 4 RAV4 EVs
to Portland State University. PSU will lend one of the RAV4 EVs to PGE and
another to the Major's Office. PSU has installed 2 small paddle induction
chargers for them. PGE will install 1 in the WTC parking garage.

Later, as part of a larger global initiative, Toyota will make 150 Plug-in
Priuses for the US, we should get at least 8 (maybe more) here in Portland.
With the PHEV Prius conversion that PGE currently has they have found that
mileage with a PHEV varies greatly with driving style (and if you plug it in
or not).

=================================
Navistar Electric Truck to be built in Portland
=================================
Rick Durst presenting:
Navistar (Link <http://ir.navistar.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=412470>)
is launching an electric truck line from here in Portland. These are class
3+ delivery truck (Sprinter Van). Another cap in Portland EV cap.

=================================
Nissan Leaf Tour Coming to Portland
=================================
Rick Durst presenting:
Nissan is taking the Leaf EV on tour (yep it is a rockstar). They are going
to 22 cities in 11 states. They will be in Portland December 17th - 23rd. We
have contacted them and they are willing to have a special OEVA meeting with
us. They are not planning details for the Portland event yet. Stay tuned.

More Leaf info:
Nissan Leaf is deploying 5000 vehicles in the US. 1000 of them in Oregon.
These will be part of an evaluation that monitors driving patterns. Pricing
and model (lease / buy - car / battery) are not yet announced or final.
Nissan is not yet taking orders. If you buy a Nissan Leaf, you will get a
charging station installed in your garage as part of this program. If you
need service upgrade, you must pay for that. If you cannot charge at home,
you maybe able to have this charger install credit applied to someplace else
(like your work).

The EV Project (http://theevproject.com/) is the joint effort to deploy
charging stations. They are first putting them in the 5 states that are
getting the 5000 Nissan Leafs.

=================================
EV Road Map Portland Report
=================================
John Christian presenting:
"The EV Road Map Oregon" was an invitation only ($99) meeting to discuss the
logistics of installing charging station in Oregon. 2200 charging stations
are planned for Oregon as part of "The EV Project" (see above). These will
be split among homes, businesses and along I-5 and other major roadways.
Many EV studies were presented. One of the lessons learned from a Japan
study was that the presents of charging stations (even if they were not
used) made people more comfortable driving an EV. Study presented showed
that 60-75% of Oregon buyers said that they would prefer an EV or PHEV if it
were the equivalent cost to a gas-only vehicle. More than 50% would pay a
10% premium for plug-in.

E-Tek is managing the grant to install charging stations in The EV Project.
The actual installers for Oregon have not yet been contracted.

Mark Perry and Tracy (?) from Nissan presented info about the Leaf. The Leaf
seats 5 full-sized adults. It is in the Camery/Maxima class. It is a new
design for electric, not a re-purposed Ultima conversion.

Charging stations can be installed outside of this program too.

=================================
Clackamas Community College Visit Report
=================================
John Christian presenting:

The new alt energy class at CCC invited OEVA to present on EVs. Ray
Blackburn brought his Yaris EV. The students were very impressed.

=================================
Fund Raising
=================================
Pat Connor presenting:

Last year our fund raising for Awareness Day happened rather last minute. We
were able to break even, but it would be nice to make some money on this
that we can spend on other EVents. We will start a sub-group and come up
with ideas. I mentioned the idea of a raffle and was informed that they are
not allowed with our non-profit status.

=================================
December Meeting
=================================
We decided to have two meetings in December. One our December social (food)
meeting on December 10th. We'll have another gathering for the Nissan Leaf,
date to be determined between Dec 17 and 23rd.

=================================
Oregon SAE Presentation
=================================
OEVA member, Bryce Nash, made a car that is electric front wheel drive and
gas rear wheel drive for about $1700 for the Grassroots Motorsports $2009
Challenge. Bryce will be presenting his Pontiac Fiero, how it was modified
and how it performed in the events drag races.

 What:    AWD Gas-Electric Hybrid Fiero for $2,009
               Presented by Mr. Bryce Nash, Daimler Trucks NA.
When:   Friday, November 20th, 2009; 11:45am – 1:00pm
Where:  Daimler Trucks Corporate Conference Center – Willamette East, 4555
N. Channel Ave, Portland OR. map
>><http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=8957628509360464481,45.555493,-122.702898&saddr=&daddr=45.555493,-122.702898&mra=pi&mrcr=0&sll=45.555707,-122.703&sspn=0.002862,0.004941&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16>
Off Hwy 217 & Greenburg Road – Across from Washington Square Mall.
Cost:     $7 with current SAE membership, $8 non-members, $4 for all
students
RSVP:   By Tuesday 11/17, to Jason Wilkening for food head count.
Jason.Wilkening at Daimler.com or 503-745-9328.

=================================
Arcimoto Launch Report
=================================
Arcimoto of Eugene launched their 3 wheeled vehicle at Pioneer Courthouse
Square - John attended. It was a good launch with press and Paul Scott as a
keynote speaker. They started taking orders at that event and had several
takers. Whoaa hoo.

=================================
General Comments
Motion to have a meeting in Eugene or Salem. Great idea.
What about an Arcimoto factory tour?
John wants to promote OEVA on "social media" sites.
- OEVA is now on facebook
(Link<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Electric-Vehicle-Association/138510433019>
)

Regards,
Pat
With Great Power, Comes Great Current and High Voltage   =D~