[Oeva-list] The ever misunderstood Volt

cje at hevanet.com cje at hevanet.com
Wed Dec 22 13:02:20 PST 2010

Okay, so I got bored and started going through a box of wall wart adapters
I had. I found a 12v one and I grabbed a dead 12v motorcycle starter
battery that was sitting on my workbench. I measured the battery voltage,
and it was something like 8v (dead dead). So I did some quick cutting and
soldering and put some alligator clips on my wall wart. I then hooked it
up to my battery. I measured across the terminals and the voltage showed
like 17volts. I left it plugged in overnight (outside, so if it blew up it
wouldn't start my house on fire). Next day I measured across the
terminals, with the charger still on it, and the voltage measured
14v, so I took the charger off it and my battery seems to be charged.

Did I do a stupid thing? It seems like wall warts would be a lot cheaper
than expensive trickle chargers. Is it normal that as the battery got more
charged, the wall wart would put out LESS voltage? Is there a resistance
thing going on? Anyone got a clue? I tried googling "how does a battery
tender work" but couldn't find anyone that knew, or would say, what's
actually happening in the machine -- just how you hook one up. Do all
chargers do that?

Thanks,
Curt
Erickson