[Oeva-list] NY Times article on the Volt

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Tue Dec 28 14:59:56 PST 2010

Any one notice durability from a manufacturer for the most part  usually
seems to be a problem after the warranty coverage is expired?

Gary I see your concern about all the moving parts in the Volt. Hard to say
 for sure how all that is going to hold up but the batteries should do very
well.

If you read the information posted on the Volt link. Most  of the
limitations are do to the smaller capacity of the pack and the  restriction of not
allowing the pack to be deeply discharge. Its  obvious GM is trying to make
sure the pack last to the end of the warranty by  providing maximum pack
protection levels.

Its one of the reasons I like a pack sized more along the lines  of the
Leaf. There are a lot of advantages to having an oversized pack.  With the
current battery chemistries the down side is added cost, weight and  space.  The
up side is high demand loads are not as much of a factor  so having the ICE
kick on would not be needed. Also your all electric range such  as in a
Hybrid will be greatly increased. What I like is a larger  pack will last far
longer time then a smaller pack under the same loads. With a  larger pack the
all electric range is increased enough that for most  people the need of an
ICE is just about eliminated.

As an example of a Leaf driver who drives about thirty to  forty miles a
day. Does not use fast charging or tops off above a 90% state  of charge is
going to get maximum pack life. If you drive  conservative as well, it is
possible you will have two or three times  the pack life stated by Nissan. A
driver who drives with their foot to the floor  and deeply discharges most
likely will still make the warranty. How much longer  though depends on your
overall use and charging.

Battery reliability I believe will be far better than an internal
combustion engine drivetrain overall. If you drive an ICE hard  you will wear out
the drivetrain. In an EV the most likely  maintenance will be replacing the
batteries. Which is not as difficult  or as messy as a major ICE overhaul of
the motor or transmission.  Also by the time replacements modules are going
to needed the cost will  be far less then today. This is if you drive like
any other ICE driver on  the road.

Don

In a message dated 12/28/2010 12:00:13 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,