[Oeva-list] Oeva-list Digest, Vol 86, Issue 23

Gary Munkhoff gary at greenlivingjournal.com
Wed Dec 29 19:01:34 PST 2010

Jim,

Your idea of a diesel model should certainly be on GM's list of future
upgrades to the Volt.

Also, would GM have been better off using a larger electric motor and
omitting any clutching between the ICE and the electric drive. In other
words, use the ICE only as a generator and derive all needed torque from
the larger electric motor. This would eliminate that very complex (and
probably expensive clutch pack) as well as placing the Volt squarely in
the electric car class.

On the "old gas" issue one of the GM engineers that was with the Volt
tour group, said that the car would remind you that the ICE needs to be
run after a certain lenght of time had gone by without the ICE starting
up. And, at some point in time, if the ICE has still not been started up
the computer system will start the ICE to burn the old fuel.

Gary

An EV In Every Garage

Gary Munkhoff, Editor&  Publisher
Green Living Journal