[Oeva-list] PART WANTED

Hodgert, Mike mhodgert at bethel.k12.or.us
Wed Jul 21 08:51:30 PDT 2010

Hi all,
I am making a 48 volt street legal and am in need of a part.  My forward motor system  is set up with a 'free wheel' system so the car can coast like a bike and hopefully travel farther per charge like most Electrathon Vehicles do.  The challenge with this was designing a reverse system.  My solution was to have a pivot with a small 12 volt starter motor that has a small rubber wheel that is pressed into the rear tire.  The problem is the starter motor has too high of RPM and starts off at full speed.  This does not allow the friction wheel to work well and slips until the rear wheel gets up to speed.  Then the rear wheel moves too fast once it catches up to the friction wheel and I am going faster than I want to.

What I am looking for is an old fashion speed controller for a golf cart.  They used to come with a huge variable resistor block.  As the resistance is reduced the motor speed increased.  I know these are very inefficient and turn power into heat but since I will not use it much I think I can modify it easily it will work well for this set up.  This is the easiest and cheapest method that I have been able to come up with to solve this problem.  Over the years we have had a few of these old golf carts with these speed controllers donated but I have recycled all of them.  If anyone has an old speed controller they would be willing to sell, or has any ideas where to get one, please let me know as soon as possible.

'mhodgert at bethel.k12.or.us'

Thank you,
Mike Hodgert
Teacher at Willamette High School-Eugene