[Oeva-list] Latest Leaf debris

Nick nickgaladay at msn.com
Wed Jul 21 17:29:26 PDT 2010

I'm not in the group eligible for the free "charger" as underwritten by the
DOE, for my new Leaf.  I got an email inviting me to spend $100 to have
someone come out and give me an estimate to provide and install the Nissan
required "charger" (actually, it's little more than a UL 240 VAC 30 Amp
switch with an SAE J-1772 cord - and maybe some over-current and GFCI
protection, maybe.  Both of the actual Level I & Level II chargers are
onboard the Leaf.  I haven't decided to go ahead and buy a Leaf yet and I'd
be out a nonrefundable $100.  So here's the skinny according to Royal Moore
Nissan, the customer service folks at Nissan, and AeroVironment.

According to the Nissan gal there is no option but to have AeroVironment
install the "Home Docking Station" for an average installed price of $2,200.
She then forwarded me to someone at AeroVironment who allowed as the device
itself would run around $800 but they can't sell it that way.  It has to be
installed by them to meet the Nissan requirement.  Apparently it requires a
factory service tool to "program" it.  The AV gal did allow as I'm not the
only person trying to buy the docking station uninstalled and that perhaps
more options may become available by the time I need to commit to placing my
Leaf order.  She did say there was no hurry; I didn't need to have the
estimate done before I decide to order my Leaf.

   Nick & Beverly Galaday

headshot2   1109 Roseview Hts. Ave.

     Vernonia, OR 97064

    Home:  (503) 429-8910