[Oeva-list] Nissan Leaf deployment...

schristie at mind.net schristie at mind.net
Thu Jul 22 13:41:59 PDT 2010

OEVA Members...

A curious notion struck me today after I received my notification that I would be receiving an in-home
charging station at no-cost.  This is an amazing development in a relatively short period of time.
Did any of us think we'd be here five years ago?  I didn't...

I have been on the OEVA list for two to three years, initially going so far as to buying a vehicle for
conversion and subsequently selling it after realizing that I didn't really have the time to spend on
both the learning and tooling (I read enough stories of others who caught the bug).

So to my surprise, there actually will be hundreds of these commercially produced EVs on the road and
we will thankfully make gasoline usage seem utterly arcane (and I do think my propane powered line
trimmer contributes to this cause).  There will come a day when hundreds of community members who have
never heard of OEVA are driving around without any regard for the foundation that OEVA has laid for
this cause!  The nerve...

What will OEVA members do when dreams are finally realized and electric vehicles roam the land?  What
will this highly focused group of people do when we are paying of highway taxes by GPS reporting
systems, paying excise fees to 'fill our battery packs', and converting an ICE to electric will be
more of a hobby than a social commentary?  There will soon come a day when the market is filled with
Volts, Leafs, Teslas, Focus', etc...

I would hope we find something meaningful to talk about (not that talking about 1772 cord ends aren't
interesting).  I have enjoyed the social advocacy that all this has implied!  So, as everyone else
finally gets a clue, maybe we can shift to an alternative social cause.

My vote is for Solar Powered vehicles (AKA OSPA).  It that doesn't fit I would also propose PPTO
(Propane Powered Trimmers of Oregon).

Scott