[Oeva-list] Nissan Leaf deployment...

Myles Twete matwete at comcast.net
Thu Jul 22 18:32:16 PDT 2010

Interesting times these...
As I've been a member and involved in the OEVA since 1993, I recall thinking
back in those days that we were within 2-5 years of being irrelevant.  It
has amazed me that 17 years later we are not yet irrelevant.  Though it does
feel somewhat more likely that we will be within the next 5 year window, I
have to laugh.  You speak of "hundreds of these commercial produced EV's" as
if that alone will cause EV's to stick.  I have news: There were many
thousands of commercial EV's on the streets---not last decade or the one
before---but in the 2 decade timeframe from 1900-1920.
It happened---and chargers were delivered with cars (1917-1923 Milburn Light
Electrics) before.
Also there were networks of charging stations.
It didn't help.
The electric car died---though commercial electrics lived on longer.

The big difference between then and now: Increased speed and performance
with modern electrics; The economics of electrics generally; the
environmentalism of going electric and a perception of broader level of
commitments to it.  Range was about the same with electrics back then vs
most of today's electrics: Most electric car makes back then got 60-100 mile
range on PbA or NiFe battery packs---albeit at 20-30mph.

Anyway, keep hope alive and keep working it.
Maybe we will still succeed in becoming irrelevant as an organization,
unlike our Portland EV forefathers (NELA EV branch chapter) in 1915 who
worked to popularize EV's, held an EV parade in December of 1915 and lost
the battle to gas cars not long after.  Of course, the trolleys also lost
later only to have a new age in the 21st century.

-Myles Twete
1920 Milburn Light Electric: www.evalbum.com/348
1911 Hupp-Yeats Electric: www.evalbum.com/1018

P.S. - Don't forget the EV drag races tomorrow night and Saturday night at
PIR.