[Oeva-list] Nissan Leaf

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Fri Jul 23 11:37:41 PDT 2010

On 7/23/10 7:49 AM, gfifield at onlinenw.com wrote:

> We shall see about the free charger; if it isn't free; that is a deal
> breaker.

My understanding is that this expensive thing is so because it's got all
the monitoring stuff in it for their study.  The actual charger is in
the car, and if you don't want to do the study or didn't qualify, then
all you need is a J1772 plug.  The question is, how much is such a basic
setup?  I'm guessing it's not as cheap and simple as just sticking
another 220V outlet in my garage (which cost about $150 as I recall),
but I don't know if J1772 is just a plug, or is there some sort of extra
sensing.  I'm guessing it has at least some sort of ground fault system,
is there more?  I'm thinking it would be wise to have something that
plugs into standard (several of them ;-) ) 220V outlets; didn't someone
post here a week or so ago that something like that was coming out for a
few hundred?