[Oeva-list] EV charging considerations.

gfifield at onlinenw.com gfifield at onlinenw.com
Sat Jul 24 20:18:00 PDT 2010

Hi Steve,

I can't disagree with your analysis.
However I'm still thinking that this range anxiety can be overcome with
smartphone or internet appliances combined with GPS.

I believe your the analysis of long distance travel is accurate, within
any realistic infrastructure improvements over the next year or two.
My wife often brings up this vacation issue.
I'll have to hide your email from her!
; )

But seriously folks.
I believe that using a RCE, I just heard this term (Remote Combustion
Engine), could be good for the grid and power companies and the
environment. This doesn't bother me, (unless it is ENRON.) Grid balancing
using EVs is probably a great way to handle the problem of integrating
wind-power into the grid. With this experiment, the EV Project will expose
all of your issues. Let's get them up front and in our faces. . .Then we
can change/lobby-for what needs to be changed. It is unrealistic to expect
the unbridled range of ICE in reasonably priced EVs. I think we have been
oversold on conflating "freedom" with an ICE. (I detect this theme in your
scenario.) It is only because the infrastructure has been built around
this "freedom" model.

Imagine if the ICE never had been invented, the electric vehicles in the
early 20th century would have flourished and a whole infrastructure around
electric transportation would have been created? Every parking meter is a
charging station?

Maybe the recharge model is wrong, and the battery exchange is right.
Maybe a trolley power system becomes the solution. Maybe the mass transit
or rail model with one way E-Zip cars is the solution for your long trips?

I have rather low expectation on battery life and degradation. I expect
that NISSAN will assume this risk in their warranty model. (The survey I
just took explored this extensively; I expect this is part of the delay;
figuring out the warranty details.) During that warranty time I expect
that battery technology and charging diversity will be improving.

So after a few years I expect the range to be 80 miles with 60 miles being
a comfort level before recharging. If it is less than that I expect a
replacement battery covered by warranty.

For Daily Commuting.
My worst commute was up to Camas, WA for 46 miles one way. My expectation
is that in such a commute I have access to a Level 2 charger at both ends.

So for me I still think that we are headed in the right direction. Away
from oil and toward renewable energy. Away from war and toward creativity.

Gene Fifield