[Oeva-list] EV charging considerations.

Hodgert, Mike mhodgert at bethel.k12.or.us
Sun Jul 25 15:41:16 PDT 2010

Richard,
Well said!!!  I agree.
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: oeva-list-bounces at oeva.org on behalf of Richard Hamje
Sent: Sun 7/25/10 2:33 PM
To: oeva-list at oeva.org
Subject: Re: [Oeva-list] EV charging considerations.

In my opinion, EV's will only displace a small number of ICE miles... and probably very few ICE "units" because it's likely that families will have"one of each".

I don't disagree that many families will have one of each.  However, the EV would be the preferred car for all but long commutes or road trips because it is so much cheaper to operate.  So while the units displacement may be small, the miles displaced is likely to be disproportionately larger.

The Bureau of Transportation Statistics reports that 78% of Americans drive less than 20 miles one-way per weekday, 51% less than 10 miles.  The average total miles driven is now about 10,000 (has been declining recently), or about 27.4 miles per day which works out to 137 miles per workweek assuming a similar amount of driving on weekends.  This works out to a 13.7 mile one-way trip per weekday which is consistent with the first statistics.  All of this driving is easily done with an EV.

Without the detailed trip data, it's not possible to tell what percentage of all trips would be outside the range of an EV, but guessing from the above numbers it might be around 20%.

So, if the EV is the preferred vehicle in the driveway, and if 80% of all trips can be done with the EV, we'd expect to see ICE-driven mileage drop by a huge amount - from around 10,000 miles per year to perhaps 2,000.  Best of all, the short trips being displaced are the least efficient for an IC and most efficient for an EV.

So what if you drive the ICE car on a few road trips every year?  This is the best and most efficient use for an ICE - and the money required to build and charge EVs for this purpose could probably be better used elsewhere in the energy infrastructure (home solar charging?).  No vehicle (ICE or EV) is perfect for every purpose.  You wouldn't plow fields with a minivan or commute on a farm tractor.   My personal belief is that "range anxiety" is an artifice being promoted by powerful organizations with a big stake in the ICE world.

IMHO,
Richard

Richard Hamje
822 SE 45th Avenue