[Oeva-list] EV charging considerations

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Sun Jul 25 15:56:52 PDT 2010

Electric power companies may increase their profits but would that really
be a bad thing?
Would we rather have electric providers increase their rates because of
poor energy management?
IMO it is far better to keep the development of power here in the United
States. The United Sates should reduce imports and oil would be a good place
to start. Utility power companies are going to need profits to improve the
power supply. I would much rather have this situation then oil companies
making record profits that will never be used to make us less dependent on oil.
I view a vehicle like a tool. You use the one that fits your needs and gets
the job done. The vast majority of people are driving local and their daily
trips are less than 50 miles. So the tool most drivers need is for local
transportation. If you only drive 300 miles a week 50 weeks of the year is it
really necessary to have a vehicle with 2800 miles in one week? An ICE may
go 400 miles with a 15 minute stop but is that what most drivers would do? No
lunch or going to the restrooms for 6 or 7 hours straight? If you have a
family or many other people in the car that is far less likely to happen. If I
had a 400 mile trip to stop for four thirty minutes charges I would use
that time improve the quality of the trip.
A four hundred mile trip daily trip. For most people this would be done
while on vacation or a rushed weekend. The best tool would be to just rent an
ICE in the size and style that meets your requirements. Regardless of how far
you drive on a two week vacation. For most people long trips are a very
small amount of the overall miles traveled in one year. Its important to keep
in mind the vast majority of the public driving is done local. So using a
limited expensive dirty resource would not be using the best tool for the job.
The Leaf could have been built with more range. It would have increased the
cost to have a larger pack for range that most people would not use on a
daily basis. It makes sense not to have a vehicle with far more range then
your going to use daily. For many that would be 40 miles or less and the Leaf
or Volt becomes a very good option.
Unless your needs exceed the capability of the Leaf there really is no need
for range anxiety a couple of times out of a year of driving. The United
States has five percent of the worlds population yet uses 25 percent of the
worlds oil. I don't agree the answer is to just to keep going into deeper debt
and pass this on to the next generation. There are other solutions and we
owe it to our nation and our children to use them if possible.
In 2003 I really did not know the capabilities of an EV but I wanted to
find out. In the past 6 years I have driven well over 60,000 miles all
electric. The vast majority of these miles were with an S-10 with 50 miles of range
with no three phase fast charging. In 2004 I stopped driving a 2000 Tahoe
with 40,000 miles and in 2010 it still has 40,000 miles. In 2004 I put the
vehicle on insurance storage and did not sell it. Looking back I would advise
anyone to just sell their ICE and rent. What I lost in the depreciation alone
would have more than paid for any rental. If anyone does get an EV and keep
your old car just remember you might not use it very much anymore.
Anyone else have any stories of daily EV use?
In a message dated 7/25/2010 12:00:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,