[Oeva-list] Wayland Invitational V results?

J Bills jbillsnews at flickfx.com
Mon Jul 26 10:15:39 PDT 2010

I was there this weekend - the interesting thing on that 11.7 run is the
controller cut out and it coasted much of the 2nd half of the run as the
driver toggled the ignition and "rebooted" it!  There's about a 1-2 second
delay as the Zilla starts back up.

So you can imagine what kind of times it might pull when they work out the
controller interference and start getting clean runs!  It took off like a
rocket on that 11.7!  Wayland was pouring over the stats, and all signs
pointed to 10 second run potential if you subtract out the controller
issues.  Otmar believed new cable runs and some shielding that will help
isolate the Zilla from the ludicrously high voltage side might do the
trick.  I believe the paper quoted a 355v pack, but it seemed to set up
around 390-some with a full surface charge.  Yowza!

Worth a mention that they blew the motor Friday night!  To quote the Bonj,
the Siamese 8 went down in a blaze of glory.  Literally, a shower of
sparks.  ha ha ha, "we blow things up so you don't have to."  After a late
night effort from the crew, true to it's name, the Zombie rose from the dead
and all of the Saturday runs were done with the new Siamese 9.

There were definitely some other EVs blasting off - Mike's Pinto had a
pretty good Saturday after working out some problems on Friday.  The lean,
mean electric dragster (was his name Dave?) had some nice kick to it.  And
there was some hot Tesla on Tesla action.

Was my first time out at the races, and it was an exciting weekend to say
the least!  I thought it was especially funny that Saturday was diesel
"league night," and many of the rest of the cars were SUPER pollutive and
the thick black smoke was dowsing the crowd.

Might have some photos I can get up.  Carol seemed to be the track
photographer and she was shooting all weekend - I'll track down the link
tonight from home if no one else has posted it by then.