[Oeva-list] EV charging considerations

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Mon Jul 26 14:24:00 PDT 2010

Theoldcars at aol.com writes:
> Subject: [Oeva-list] EV charging considerations

[snip]
> All I can say to an ICE driver is don't dismiss how much driving you can do
> with an EV with 30 or 40 miles of range for local use. For some people this
> might replace all their ICE miles. Many seem to scoff at the idea of 30 to
> 40 miles but it not any where near as limiting as most ICE drivers believe
> it to be.
>
> Don

My commute measures 32 miles, each way... and my employer has already
decided that they arn't willing to install charging stations, due to
liability concerns.

All but about 3.7 miles are at 55 MPH. (with about 2 miles on interstate,
with a mandatory minimum speed of 40 MPH.)

If I do ANYTHING but drive to and from work, I believe I'd be into the
"marginal" battery state of charge. (And combining trips is one of the
ways I minimize driving now!)

I'm actually surprized to see the few number of miles the statistics you
quote, say people drive. It's certinly not my experience.

I wonder.. Will AAA tow a EV with a dead battery to a charging station?

Steve