[Oeva-list] The real EV pushback.

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Tue Jul 27 09:29:59 PDT 2010

On 7/26/10 5:22 PM, Steve's Account wrote:

> And yet.. in spite of all this, propane fueled over the road vehicles never
> caught on.

I remember hearing and thinking about that option when I was in college;
for me it was a combination of being too good and not good enough:  It
was good enough that you thought of it as a primary vehicle, not a
second local commuter car, but not something you would risk going cross
country with because you couldn't be sure of getting fuel, and the
advantages weren't enough to be worth the risk.  There was some
incentive a, and a brief flurry of activity, but the game has changed
with fossil fuels and there's a lot more push all around to move away
from them.

To me, EVs are enough better that, when I could afford it, I got one as
a second car, and with the Leaf, good enough to be my primary car with a
cheap gas car as the secondary vehicle (I plan to get a used Ranger or
Tacoma to use for hauling stuff, and going where there's no EV
infrastructure when needed).

Time will tell if this is a flash in the pan or the bleeding edge of the
future...