[Oeva-list] PSU EV charging considerations

nscale7 at aol.com nscale7 at aol.com
Wed Jul 28 04:47:40 PDT 2010

Rick Durst wrote:

>I am involved with a PSU project that is aimed at establishing the best access and siting locations on [the PSU] campus for Electric Vehicle Service Equipment (EVSE) and plans are being finalized with the parties involved.

Yet it seems to me like the time to figure “best access and site” would have been when the EVSE for the RAV4 EVs was installed. Or if not then, certainly the time would have been when they installed EVSE for PSU’s new Xebras. The point I was making was that since they have already been installing EVSEs for other users they could have easily installed one more for the public, or made the ones they have already installed available for public use during the day when they are unoccupied. That they have done neither can easily be interpreted as a general unwillingness to provide public charging. Remember, I first requested EV charging two years ago, long before PSU’s RAV4 EVs arrived, long before PSU’s Xebras, and not only am I still waiting, I’ve graduated!

I am very surprised to hear that PSU is working with you to move forward with public charging when the director of Transportation And Parking Services (TAPS) said to me not three months ago that they would be “very unlikely to install charging stations when only one student actually has such a vehicle.” I doubt the number of PSU students and faculty with EVs has significantly increased in that time; In fact, the number has declined by one since I now have my bachelor’s degree. Ironic if TAPS installs it now that (to my knowledge) the only private EV that would have used it has left.

Which of course brings up another issue with workplace charging; how much use must the EVSE receive to reasonably amortize the cost of it’s installation? If a company has to spend ($5,000? $15,000?) to install charging equipment, how many times must it be used befor the fee paid per use recoups the equipment and installation costs? If a charger is likely to be lightly used, if for example a company has only one employee with an EV, than might the long payback period cause a host to decide to forgo EVSE altogether?

As an example, the AVCON at the Hillsdale Library has been used enough to fully recharge a Ranger EV less than three times; that’s $1000 per full charge just in the cost of the EVSE, more if installation costs are added. While with the EV Project the EVSE is free so amortization doesn’t matter, afterward when site hosts must bear the full cost of future installations (minus the tax credit) it becomes a major consideration, and yet I’ve found nothing in the literature that discusses this.

Note: For those who have never visited it, the Hillsdale Library’s AVCON can talk, and says that it has dispensed 84kWh. The Ranger EV has a battery capacity of 33kWH, so 84/33= less than three full charges. Of course, the number of individual uses is likely higher as most opportunity charges are only partial, not full charges. I like that the AVCONs talk about themselves; sort of like how the City Hall station has the meter bolted to it so you can see how much it’s been used, but with that one you have to factor out the Shorepower station’s nighttime lighting. But I digress.

>By this time next year, there will be over 1000 publicly available EVSE locations around Oregon.
>More than 1 for every 2 EVs on the road

More than one for every EV -currently- on the road, sure, but by then there will be 1000 Leafs and 500? iMievs, plus Smart EDs, Th!nk Cities, and Plug-In Priuses running around, just to name a few. The year after that there will be another 40,000 Leafs running around as Nissan gets into full production, and another 40,000 Leafs the year after that, and so on, although of course not all of those Leafs will be in Portland.

I know 1000 stations sounds like a lot, but California already has over 300 and one need only review the EVCN “I was there” reports to know that arriving to find public charging stations in use by another EV is a common problem. Fortunately most locations there have at least two units (1 AVCON & 1 Inductive,) but still. I expect that this problem will be particularly acute at the level 3 fast chargers as that technology comes online because of their rarity (due to cost) and the typical motorist’s preference for them over the ‘slow’ chargers, but even level 2 stations will have overcrowding as the number of EVs increases year after year. Are there any plans to have the number of public charging stations keep pace with the number of EVs? Perhaps a long term measure like an electricity surcharge to fund new public charging stations? Or my previous suggestion of mandating EVSE in building codes like Vancouver, BC?

-Chase

Oh, and sorry for the really long posts. *smiles apologetically*