[Oeva-list] The real EV pushback.

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Wed Jul 28 10:31:44 PDT 2010

On 7/28/10 6:44 AM, nscale7 at aol.com wrote:
> alan at batie.org <mailto:alan at batie.org> wrote:
> *>Actually, they won't [sell Propane for cars,] as a general rule:
> they're not allowed to unless they handle the vehicle fuel tax.*
>
> Huh. I was not aware that there was a vehicle fuel tax on CNG / LPG. The
> U-haul place is listed on the U.S. Department of Energy’s Alternative
> Fuel Data Center, (linked from OEVA’s Charging page,) so I just kind
> of assumed you could pull up and buy alternative fuels there. So if I
> had a CNG vehicle and a home filling station, how does that work tax
> wise, do you know?

If they're on that list, they probably *are* setup for it then.  Despite
our being a gas station, we couldn't do it (which was annoying because
we got commission on propane sales ;-) ); I'm guessing the owner just
didn't want to deal with the paperwork for the few times it would be needed.

At home, you'd be responsible for paying the tax; it would be like a
farmer who gets diesel for the tractors and uses it in road vehicles too.

I think a weight-mile tax is the right way to pay for roads, but it
*would* be a nuisance for drivers, and I definitely don't like the idea
of gps trackers that Oregon's tinkering with... I would like a system
where people can pay in periodically at will, and you settle up the
balance every two years when you renew your car registration based on
the odometer reading.  But no one will like that because it makes it all
too obvious how much it costs to maintain roads...