[Oeva-list] The real EV pushback

Steve's Account stevel at fern.com
Wed Jul 28 13:42:36 PDT 2010

Alan Batie <alan at batie.org> writes:
> Subject: Re: [Oeva-list] The real EV pushback.
>
> On 7/28/10 6:44 AM, nscale7 at aol.com wrote:
>> alan at batie.org <mailto:alan at batie.org> wrote:
[snip]

> At home, you'd be responsible for paying the tax; it would be like a
> farmer who gets diesel for the tractors and uses it in road vehicles too.
>
> I think a weight-mile tax is the right way to pay for roads, but it
> *would* be a nuisance for drivers, and I definitely don't like the idea
> of gps trackers that Oregon's tinkering with... I would like a system
> where people can pay in periodically at will, and you settle up the
> balance every two years when you renew your car registration based on
> the odometer reading.  But no one will like that because it makes it all
> too obvious how much it costs to maintain roads...

Well.. I know how they did it in Texas. At one point, it was just a
"cents per gallon" tax, collected by the dealer.

Then they shifted to a "sticker" tax where dealers were allowed to
fuel any vehicle with a valid sticker. The sticker was sold based
on GVWR of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, this was the demise of my use of a propane fueled
vehicle... The tax, if paid by the mile, would be the equivalent of
driving 110,000 miles a year! due to the fact that the first step
in the tiered plan was quite high, and my car, quite light.

Steve