[Oeva-list] [seva] Leaf's Tiny Solar Spoiler (was Color Options)

patrick0101 at gmail.com patrick0101 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 02:07:52 PDT 2010

I would agree that Nissan does listen. I was lucky and met with several
Nissan folks early in this project. They asked several questions of me as an
EV driver and I had several suggestions. Here are some of the things that I
suggested:

   1. For a BEV, have a 100+ mile range. Most people don't need 100 miles,
   by hitting triple digits is a significant psychological point.
   2. If you want high volume, start with a 4-door, not a 2 door or a micro
   car, these are niche. Compare the Prius to the first gen Insight, one made
   it big, one died.
   3. Have a specific EV model, not an "electric Altima" or "electric Cube".
   Compare Prius vs Hybrid Camry, Prius sells far better. Early adopters,
   especially, are going to want a badge they can rally behind, not a sub
   brand.
   4. Solar panel option: I show my EV off several times per year and at
   nearly every event someone suggests putting a solar panel on there so you
   can "drive forever". I used to walk through the math with them, now I just
   smile and say I'll look into that. So unless they want to hear that same
   suggestion over and over, have a solar panel option, even if it is only a
   token.
   5. Have an in-dash navigation system that is "Battery Smart". Meaning
   that it knows your SOC, location, destination,  and route, and it tells you
   an estimated SOC on arrival. It should also suggest charging points along
   your route as needed. Additionally, have a prominent "find nearest charging
   station" button on the nav system.
   6. Partner with someone like ZipCar for occasional gasser rental needs
   (and try to get EVs into their program).
   7. Partner with AAA for added peace of mind.

I'm sure I am far from the only one to suggest many of these things, but it
is nice to see most of these are in the LEAF.

Regards,
Pat
Plug In, Charge Up, Drive Off    =D~