[Oeva-list] Blink Charger Installed with some issues

Tim Kutscha tim_kutscha at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 14:11:23 PDT 2011

Hi All,

 I just got my Blink charger installed today through ECOtality.  The installer
was great and put the charger on the other side of the garage from the breaker
box like I asked.

For those of you who are yet-to-get Blink chargers, here's a pointers about the
installation:

- Make sure your wireless antenna inside the unit is plugged into the main
board!  The wireless antenna is a small blue strip with a white wire coming out
of it.  My white wire was not plugged into the main board, causing all sorts of
wireless detection issues.  The installer probably has no idea about this wire.

- The cable coil holder that the J1772 plug sits in has a very tight notch where
the cable rests in.  Just after a few times hanging up the charger, I found the
insulation on the cable getting abraded.  there are also sharp plastic edges in
this notch, further causing abrasion.  I highly recommend filing the sides of
the notch a bit to prevent damaging your cable.

- When turning the system on for the first time, give it several minutes to
detect the wireless network or even wired network in your house.  There are
several controller boards in the system that need to communicate with each
other.  I perceive that the one driving the screen is much different from the
controller connected to the wireless/wired LAN controller.  I found that if I
just sat around for 5-10 minutes, the wireless network would start working.

- The first time you do a firmware update, it will take a *long* time; on the
order of an hour or slightly more.  Give it time and be patient.  The firmware
update provides many more features, so it's worth it.

Looking forward to getting the Leaf at the end of April.

If you have any questions about the above (or want pictures), let me know.

Cheers,
Tim