[Oeva-list] Nissan LEAF Charging Cable Upgrade

Chris Arnesen chris at darkstarpro.com
Fri Apr 1 22:24:05 PDT 2011

I wanted to let everyone know about a service being provided to upgrade
the stock Level 1 EVSE that comes with every Nissan LEAF that will allow
it to do Level 1 and Level 2 charging.

If you don't know already, the Nissan LEAF comes with a Level 1 (120
volts @ 12 amps) charging cable that can be used to plug into any
standard power outlet for a maximum 1.44 KWh charge.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories/nissan-29690

EVSE Upgrade (http://evseupgrade.com/) is providing a service where they
take your stock Nissan Level 1 EVSE, and for $223 they will replace the
120 volt transformer with a 100-240 volt switching power supply and
replace the necessary components in the EVSE to support a maximum
voltage of 240 volts at 12 amps (or 2.88 KWh). For that price, it also
includes swapping out the power plug with a NEMA L6-20 plug and a 120
volt pigtail adapter so it can be plugged back into a standard outlet.

I already had a collection of L6-20 adapters, so I opted for the $198
upgrade that doesn't include the 120 volt pigtail and shipped it on
Monday, March 25th and received my modified unit this morning, April 1st.

For something very clean, portable, and stock looking, you can't beat
the price and if you have any questions I can't answer, there is a
contact form on the EVSE Upgrade site and Phil will generally quickly
respond. There is also a large thread on the MyNissanLEAF.com forum with
all kinds of questions and answers:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2707

I'll be bringing my LEAF and the upgraded EVSE to the meeting on April
14th and hopefully can answer any questions people have about it. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Chris Arnesen