[Oeva-list] FYI

Dan Hammerstrom strom at cecs.pdx.edu
Mon Apr 11 07:59:24 PDT 2011

EV Technology Improving.
The Detroit News (4/10, Hall, Schoof) reports, "Interest in electric vehicles has ebbed and flowed with the price of oil over the past three decades, but something new is clearly afoot. ... Chevy's Volt battery costs about $8,000 now, down from $12,000 or more a few years ago. 'The question is: Can these guys make a battery that is five times cheaper? I think yes. I think we can do it,' Eric Isaacs, the director of the Argonne National Laboratory, said in an interview." At Argonne, the Department of Energy advances battery research and development. The agency estimates that "there'll be enough manufacturing capacity for 50,000 electric vehicle batteries by the end of 2011 and 500,000 by the end of 2014."