[Oeva-list] tax bill front page of the paper today

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Mon Apr 11 16:27:20 PDT 2011

On 4/11/11 3:59 PM, Lawrence Winiarski wrote:

> We are getting royally screwed here people.

1.43 cents/mile at 12000 miles/year works out to $14/mo.  12000 miles is
more than most people are going to be putting on an EV until the fast
charging infrastructure is built out.  I'm putting about 1500 on mine,
and *may* do 2-3000 with the Leaf until it's practical to drive to
Portland with it, in which case I'll probably double or triple that.  If
I were still in Portland, with something the range of a Leaf, I'd
probably doing 8-10K local, so you guys are probably closer to that.

I have a hard time calling $14/mo "royally screwed" or a severe
impediment to ev adoption.

I think fairness dictates squawking a bit on the principle of the
matter, but the numbers are too small to justify outrage.

On the other hand, an extra $170 at registration time would be a pain,
and even though $100/yr ev surcharge makes sense from a simplicity
standpoint, it's still a burden.  It would be nice to have a way to
spread it out a little.  Those numbers would make someone in Washington
or California laugh though --- they'd love to have registration costs
that low, from what I understand...