[Oeva-list] tax bill front page of the paper today

Jon Balgley jon at photodad.com
Mon Apr 11 18:32:02 PDT 2011

Let me see if I've got this right:

1.  It's limited to 5000 vehicles, so if you assume it applies to relatively
low-mileage hybrids/BEVs, the most it can raise is 5000 * maxMiles *
$0.0143.  If maxMiles = 5000, then the max total dollars is $357,500.  Or
twice that, at 10000 miles/year.

2. It's *open* to any ICE vehicle that chooses to do so.  So in fact it is
valuing the gas tax at $0.0143/mile.  At "30 cents/gal / 1.43 cents/mile =
20.97 mpg" ... that implies it would be *cheaper* for an ICE car making less
than 21mpg to sign up for this program.  Many vehicles get substantially
less than 21mpg of course.  So how much LESS will the state get?