[Oeva-list] Fwd: Electric car tax -- HB2328

Jon Balgley jon at photodad.com
Wed Apr 13 15:36:41 PDT 2011

FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rep Read <read.rep at state.or.us>
Date: Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 2:05 AM
Subject: RE: Electric car tax -- HB2328
To: Jon Balgley <jon at photodad.com>

Dear Mr. Balgley,

Thank you for writing and sharing your concerns with the electric car tax. I
appreciate your perspective on the issue.

I appreciate your concerns about legislation that would create a
disincentive for the emergence of a market for electric vehicles in Oregon.
 I strongly support the emergence of this new technology and am working on
other legislation to encourage the availability of electric vehicle charging
stations to lessen the worry about charging up away from home or the office.

As a legislator, I have the challenging task of balancing competing
interests.  On one hand I support the emergence of electric vehicles in
Oregon.  On the other hand, as co-chair of the House Committee on
Transportation and Economic Development, I have the responsibility to ensure
the viability of the highway trust fund so that the state can care for the
road system that new electric vehicles will drive upon.

I am sure you agree that operators of electric vehicles should not drive our
road system for free in perpetuity.  EV owners should pay something for
their use of the road system.  The only questions are what EV owners should
pay and when should they pay it.

A tax on use need not be regarded as a penalty, as long as it is fair.  A
road usage tax would be based on use and thus mirrors the gas tax for
standard vehicles.  Paying based on use is longstanding policy for road
funding in Oregon.

HB 2328 is a bill sponsored by Oregon’s Road User Fee Task Force.  The task
force has a nine-year tenure in developing new ways to fund our state’s road
system.  The task force has researched many viable ways to collect a tax on
miles driven, one of which involves wireless transfer of an odometer reading
from a car’s existing odometer.  This is not outlandish technology and the
bill is based on that method of reporting, although ODOT will be able to
develop other reporting methods from which motorists may choose to suit
their individual needs.

As currently written, the bill also has a delayed start date for the new tax
on electric vehicles – January 1, 2014.  This will give the EV market time
to take hold before the new tax would be applied.  Also, the bill provides
that electric vehicles purchased before the 2014 model years would not pay
the tax.  They would drive free.  That’s an incentive to purchase early.

Further, the amount of tax paid under HB 2328 would be small as it is
currently written.  The tax rate was set at a level identical to what a
hybrid electric vehicle currently pays in gas tax, $6 for every 1,000 miles
driven.  That’s only $6 per month for high volume driving.  This does not
seem like much of a discouragement to purchase of these vehicles.

I think Oregon can both incent the emergence of a new type of vehicle
technology while at the same time protecting the way the state funds its
road system.  It is a balancing act and it must be undertaken with care.

House Bill 2328 will almost certainly be amended before going forward.  You
can be assured I will carefully consider the proposed changes to this bill
with a view of supporting but not hindering customer acceptance of the
emerging electric vehicle fleet.  I will at the same time, however, make
sure that electric vehicle operators pay a responsible share of necessary
funding to ensure the health of the road system.

Best,