[Oeva-list] Fwd: Electric car tax -- HB2328

Lawrence Winiarski lawrence_winiarski at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 21:10:55 PDT 2011

Thank you very much for writing.   That was an outstanding letter.
Notes:
I see that he claims the tax is .6 cents/mile.   I see that is in the "introduced" version of the bill it is .6 cents/mile, but the house amendments change it to 1.43 cents/mile

(search for 2328)
http://www.leg.state.or.us/11reg/measures/hb2300.html
Here's a direct link to the amended (and approved version)http://www.leg.state.or.us/11reg/measures/hb2300.dir/hb2328.a.html
Nowhere in the latest version does it mention 0.6 cents/mile.   It only mentions1.43 cents/mile

Could it be that the chairman doesn't even realize what what he approved?
All three versions are on the oregon legislature site AND the oregonlive site.
Something is very fishy here.   I listened to the audio and whitty (the road usertask force guy...and probably the only guy even writing the thing down) said"verbally" he changed the fee to be "equitable"
My guess is they screwed up and didn't even realize what they approved (the vote wasverbal and of course as you can see, pretty verbose to say the least).   The road usertask force guy is probably the only guy who even really knows what he wrote.  Everyoneelse is just taking his word that he is being reasonable.
Also, at least 3 members voted "no".   So this is far from being a done deal.   (Ifwe keep fighting)
I'm pretty sure this guy Brian Whitty is likely just trying to make his pet projectof getting rid of the gas tax a reality.   That's why he wants to let the 5000 other ICE vehicles join in on a plan, which is gonna be a massive step backwards for movingtoward fuel efficiency....He likely doesn't give one whit (or is it "whitty") about electriccars, which is why he moved the rate to probably the "average" gas economy.
Again...this will be great for gas guzzlers....lousy for fuel efficient cars.
I'd keep the letter and write him back and let him know of the error.   Perhaps thenext committee could at least fix it.

If we don't halt population growth with justice and compassion, it will be done for us by nature, brutally and without pity - and will leave a ravaged world.

Nobel Laureate Dr. Henry W. Kendall 023934