[Oeva-list] Fwd: Electric car tax -- HB2328

Lawrence Winiarski lawrence_winiarski at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 23:47:17 PDT 2011

Yeah...I think that was probably added to bribe people who currently have EV's fromcomplaining, so they can get this passed.
I thought of another problem:   They have apparently set the the fee at 1.43 cents at leastsomewhat by mistake.   AND they are also gonna allow 5000 ICE vehicles to participateif they want to (You can bet those guys are gonna be BIG SUV's who drive alot of miles)
Now, here's the problem:   If they change it back to 0.6 cents/mile, that's gonna be theequivalent of 50mpg.   AND they let the 5000 SUV's in on the deal...There's gonna bea hell of a deal for the gas guzzlers.
Imagine a guy with an SUV who gets 15mpg and drives 45,000 miles/year.   He currentlybuys 3000 gallons of gas and pays $900 in state gas tax.   Now if he joins in on the"plan" at 0.6 cents, then he's gonna get his tax $270 which will cost the state$630 dollars of revenue.   Now it's gonna take 5 leaf owners driving 9000 miles /year justto BREAK even for the one gas guzzler....let alone the additional cost of collection etc.
And exactly which SUV's are gonna sign up for this plan?   Most likely they guys whodrive a lot of miles.   So if you let 5000 vehicles in, it could very conceivably mean thatyou need to get 25,000 EV's JUST TO COVER THE GUZZLER SUBSIDY.   And that won't bring a dime to roads.   Of course if they leave it at 1.43 cents, then you are absolutely screwing the EV guys.   And the poor manufacturer who now has to develop a whole stupid wireless reporting mechanism for his 2014 leaf or prius.   Heck, they might just decide it isn't worth it to sell in Oregon.
So again...this bill makes no sense.   giving the 5000 ICE vehicles an "opt in" to what issupposed to be a revenue generation bill is crazy.
I honestly believe the place to do this is at the charger...not the car.
Here's some reasons why I think so.
1).   It will be obvious what state to pay the tax in.  2).   Smart grid stuff is coming and is a good idea.    Letting the charger communicatesomehow with the power company makes sense and actually makes a reasonable roadmap for the future for the electric grid to manage their loads which IS gonna be thereal problem with widespread electric car adoption.    Doing the Tax at the charger actuallymakes sense because then you don't have to monitor and transmit at 2 places.   Also   Tracking peoples car brings up tons of privacy issues.   3)    It can be incorporated into the power bill, so you only pay one monthly bill4)    Smaller more energy efficient cars can get a better deal if you pay by the kwh insteadof by the mile5)    Power companies and chargers are more tech savvy than ODOT6)    Electric car companies aren't overly burdened7)    It's at least as easy to retrofit a charger8)   Chargers generally don't get involved in car
 wrecks where equipment needs to bereplaced.   9)  .....you fill in a reason here

If we don't halt population growth with justice and compassion, it will be done for us by nature, brutally and without pity - and will leave a ravaged world.

Nobel Laureate Dr. Henry W. Kendall 023934