[Oeva-list] Blink Installation Warning

Myles Twete matwete at comcast.net
Mon Apr 18 09:09:24 PDT 2011

Good luck with contractors Anne.  They're a mixed bag and results vary.  We
had a solar grid-tie system installed last year only to be told afterwards
by the city inspector that, "oh [by the way], we have a problem---your
electric panel and service entry is non-compliant and needs to be fixed."
With $2300 later, we got a new service entry and main panel and the system
approved.  All's good, but had we known ahead of time that to go solar we'd
have to add $5500 for a new half-roof plus that $2300 for a new panel, we'd
not have chosen to go solar.  Before that we had top of the line fiberglass
windows installed only to find that 10-months later the sealer they used
between the siding and the windows was peeling loose---not from our house,
but from the new window frames!

Before that, we had a chimney sweep come in to clean our flues---all went
well until he got his brush stuck and couldn't get it out.  We paid him in
full and waited 5-months for him to call to schedule pulling out the brush.
"I'm waiting for a tool" we were told.  Same excuse 3 months later.  At
9-months, he stopped taking our calls.  Then despite taking the case to the
CCB, he was unresponding until the inspection date---and then, now 14-months
with brush stuck in chimney, his proposed resolution?  Cut a hole in our
chimney, remove the brush and put in a cleanout.  Having no confidence, I
settled for our money back.  The next day I built a $10 tool myself and
removed the brush within 5-minutes.  What a loser.

And in routing plumbing or electrical, you do need to know your house, know
the possibilities and figure the path and advise.  They don't care much what
it will look like.  Our solar installer couldn't even tell that our solar
panels were being installed crooked until I pointed it out to him and he
advised his team to shift them to line up with the roof lines.  The roofers,
despite my telling them that I had $3000 of fiberglass windows that they
needed to protect, dove right in to demolition without putting any
protection up---asphalt shingles were landing on the sill of our brand new
windows---only when I came out screaming did they bring out the plywood
sheets.  Two brand new window screens were ripped by these guys also.

Finally, it took 9-months before PGE sent out their electricians to finalize
the main service connections-something that was ensured would happen within
30days.  It probably would never have happened had it not been for the local
Solarize Portland rep intervening on my behalf.

Apologies for the drift-

-Myles Twete

1920 Milburn Light Electric www.evalbum.com/348

1911 Hupp-Yeats Electric www.evalbum.com/1018