[Oeva-list] Range anxiety solved

Theoldcars at aol.com Theoldcars at aol.com
Tue Apr 19 15:33:43 PDT 2011

Hello Steve

I think Pat's post does well at pointing out. The fun and challenge of
driving an EV with the current EV infrastructure. I also agree its not  going
to be long before there are many more charging options.

I have managed to make a few trips well beyond my range with a  little
planning and no loss of time. Of the 70,000 plus miles I  have driven all
electric. Only a few hundred miles involved any  limitation of range. As I think
back it is these few planned  trips that stand out. I remember them as  being
a memorable and a general overall fun experience. Back  then there were no
charging stations so businesses with 240  volts, dryer plugs or RV parks
were about the only road charging options. I  never went on an extended drive
without my assortment of plug  adapters and extension cords but never a
generator. With a 6.6 kW 240  volt charger it would have taken a very large
generator so that was not  something I was willing to pack around.

Personally I like removing my dependence on oil for local transportation
for many reasons. One of them is the vast majority of miles for myself and
for many people is local trips of less than 40 miles. There  was in all my
miles only a couple of trips that exceed the range of  one charge. Range
anxiety is usually brought up by ICE drivers  who fear not having a vehicle with
say 300 miles of range. When they only  drive 40 miles a day or less.

It is not uncommon for a person or a family to have two vehicles.  Making
one of them an EV is an option to consider. For myself a little S-10 pick  up
was ideal. It hauls around things that would not fit or loads you  would
not want to put in a car. It would carry up to three people although two  is
better. It is also a vehicle I would prefer not to take on a long drive  even
if it was an ICE.

Another idea for range anxiety is to just rent an ICE when you need it. If
your going to put on miles from an extended trip this would be a good time
to  rent a vehicle as the need comes up.

It is possible to drive over a hundred miles a day with an EV I did  that
years ago with a lead acid S-10. The only limitation is timing and where
your driving.

Since your on this list I assume you have an interest in electric vehicles.
 I was curious what is it you find interesting about them or do you have an
 application your considering?

Don

In a message dated 4/18/2011 10:05:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,